Sunday, April 19, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire: Best Picture?

This blog has been mostly sports related, but I love movies as well, so here ya go...

I know I am a little late to the party on this, but I just watched Slumdog Millionaire last night. After seeing some of 2008's most well reviewed films, I feel that the Academy got it wrong. Of course, I felt that way when the nominations came out, but this only solidified my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, Slumdog is a fine film. I am all for something that opens the eyes of everyone, American's especially. The film depicts the slums of Mumbai unlike anything I have ever seen, and it is important for those of us who have it so good to realize how good we in fact have it.

That being said, Slumdog was not the best film of 2008. The film that stood out for me more than any other was The Dark Knight. First of all, how many times does a movie exceed expectation, especially a film with the anticipation of TDK? Christopher Nolan is on the short lists for best filmmakers today, having penned and directed TDK, Batman Begins, The Prestige, Insomnia, and Memento. The fact that he recieved no love from the Academy for TDK really bothers me.

The Dark Knight was so superbly paced, written, acted, and filmed it was almost scary. Heath Ledger (who did get the love he deserved from the Academy) was amazing, as was the entire cast. Not to mention the film grossed over half a billion dollars here in America. Movies don't do that every year. You have to have the perfect combination of popularity, buzz, and quality to accomplish that. TDK did.

Again, I know it is a little late, but the Academy really tripped up by not even nomination TDK or Chris Nolan. It is time for voters to recognize that mainstream films (even superhero ones) can and should recieve serious consideration, especially when they are done as well as The Dark Knight. It was not only the most popular movie of the year, it was the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment